Languedoc is France's best kept secret and a sketcher's paradise! Classic French architecture, luscious green mountain trails, the Canal du Midi, vineyards as far as the eye can see, Roman cities, Cathar castles, the Mediterranean coast and sleepy winemaking villages, a potential sketch is waiting for you around every corner!
If you are not sure how to get here, please see our map which has local airports and rail stations listed.
About our short stay sketching holidays
These creative breaks are designed to help you capture the very essence of this beautiful area whilst also learning a whole new set of artistic skills. We like to take you slightly off the beaten track too, meeting local people and visiting our favourite cafes - getting a genuine taste of life as a local in this beautiful corner of France.
You’ll have a personalised and authentic experience not only in sketching and art, but your accommodation will be in carefully selected unique and beautiful houses, or even a chateau. You’ll be discovering the best local foods and wines and learning about the history of the region. We also make sure you have plenty of opportunities to explore, shop, swim and relax in your own time.
We welcome anyone of any age, no previous drawing skills or painting experience needed - just a desire to learn, have fun and be creative!
Who are these holidays for?
If you can't even manage to draw a stick figure then you will LOVE our Sketch Holidays. They change peoples' lives. If you are already drawing or painting then these holidays will teach you a whole range of new and different techniques. It is all about 'loosening-up' and sketching an impression - learning to simplify what you see and how to quickly apply colour with a minimal palette.
Whether travelling as a group or on your own, you'll be among friends and having a lot of fun.
What can you expect?
- You will learn the essentials of travel sketching and creating a visual diary, topics will include perspective, people, landscapes and architecture
- We usually start our day with a warm-up sketch after breakfast
- We then start sketching on location and visit historic, iconic and lesser-known local sites
- We usually sketch and apply colour to our sketches over a classic French lunch and then you are free to practise, relax, shop, snooze, swim or explore some more
- Whatever your experience or skill level your tutor will be working with you at your own pace
- Students usually form such strong bonds they stay together as a group and dine, sketch and socialise each evening too!
Sketch Languedoc holidays are extremely positive, fun and therapeutic experiences for everyone.
We allow you to switch off your negative side and you will be amazed at what you can achieve!
What do I need to bring?
If you do not have your own sketch kit, one will be available on loan or for purchase on arrival. Click here to see the items that we use.
Holiday prices include bed and breakfast but exclude drinks, evening meals and transport unless otherwise indicated.
Dates and locations are listed below - for further information, to ask any questions or plan a holiday for your group - please email firstname.lastname@example.org !